Here are the qualities we consider when selecting video and multimedia journalism for inclusion in KobreGuide.com:
1. GOAL: What is the point of this story? What did it set out to say or do? Did it accomplish that?
2. INNOVATION: What specifically makes this execution special ? What did the reporter and/or videographer do differently or unusually that warrants our attention? What makes it qualitatively stand out from similar efforts by others?
3. INFORMATION: What new light does it shed on the subject matter? What new ideas or data are presented? What makes this information important and worth knowing? What makes it valuable to us?
4. JOURNALISM: What are the journalistic merits of this story? What journalistic qualities are worth pointing out? Is it fair? Balanced? Investigative? Adversarial? Contrarian? Probing? Illuminating? Does it employ good sources? Good interviews? Resourceful hard-hitting reporting?
5. STORYTELLING: Does it employ storytelling techniques that make it memorable and compelling?
6. VISUAL STRENGTHS: What makes this a gripping, well-structured piece of video (or audio-slideshow)? How did the reporter and/or videographer best make use of imagery to tell this story? What distinguishes the way this was SHOT and EDITED?
7. AUDIO STRENGTHS: How does the audio track enhance this story? How does it best use voices, natural sounds, ambient sounds, sound effects, music?
8. MULTIMEDIA STRENGTHS: How does this story maximize the potential of this medium? How does this story creatively combine media (still photography, videography, audio, graphics) for maximum impact?
9. CONTEXT: Why this story now? What was the impetus for telling this story? How does this compare to other coverage of similar subject matter?
10. PROCESS: What unusual steps did videographer/journalist take in pursuing this story? What is notable about the approach taken to report and/or present this story?
11. IMPACT/ CALL TO ACTION: How does this story shape our thinking? How does it emotionally move us? How does it change the way we think or feel or behave? What exactly does this story inspire us to do, or do differently?
Single Mother, Pioneering Photographer: The Remarkable Life of Bayard Wootten - In 1904, Bayard Wootten, a divorced single mother in North Carolina, first borrowed a camera. She went on to make more than a million images.
1 month ago