If you're in the Los Angeles area, check out a panel discussion presented by the International Documentary Association: "Can Your Documentary Really Change the World?"
* How can you make sure that your documentary has the greatest possible impact?
* What kinds of outreach and marketing campaigns are the most effective?
* How can you best partner with non-profits to get your message out?
* What do funders and broadcasters expect from documentary filmmakers?
* What's the best way to build a successful social action campaign?
* Jennifer Arnold, Director, A SMALL ACT
* Robert Kenner, Director, FOOD, INC.
* Cara Mertes, Director, Sundance Institute Documentary Film Program
* Dennis Palmieri, Director of Communications, ITVS
* Sara Hutchison (moderator), IDA Board of Directors
It's Monday, December 20, 7-9pm, at The Silent Movie Theater on Fairfax, with audience Q&A and wine reception to follow. Tickets are $15 for IDA members, $20 for non-members.
The event is part of the IDA's Doc U series of educational seminars and workshops for aspiring and experienced documentary filmmakers. "Taught by artists and industry experts, participants receive vital training and insight on various topics including fundraising, distribution, licensing, marketing, and business tactics."
Info and tix at Documentary.org .
Pictures of the Day: Afghanistan and Elsewhere - Photos from Afghanistan, Democratic Republic of Congo, England and Oklahoma.
16 hours ago